Saturday, November 17, 2012

Intro Blog or Good Morning, have a shocking day!



Greetings! Thanks for stopping by, you’re a wonderful crowd!...uh…anyone there? Oh...oop.  Well I might as well introduce myself, that’s the polite and sensible thing to do.

Well, I’m D.J. Dixon. I’m better known as Shockdingo, Shock-Dingo, or even le Generalissimo!...okay that last one is not true (especially after faking my death) ANYWAYS!  I’m a freelance voice actor who’s been at this little gig for about 7 years now. I’ve been in productions on Newgrounds, lent my voice to Youtube videos and currently, I can be heard in the X-Box Live game Dust: An Elysian Tail in a certain little subterranean village.

Life's problems can be solved by hittin' things...with sticks.


Time to explain a few things, first, my name: How on earth did I come up with the grand non sequitur that bonds together a dingo and electricity? Mega Man X.  Yes, Mega Man X. All the way back in 2004 I was on a binge; just indulging in the great pixelized worlds that only the SNES could craft. In my free time, I was playing Mega Man X1 to X3 over the course of a month or so and was loving every moment of the retro goodness and blasting apart Maverick carcasses in the fight against the ever immortal, ever evil…and ever bald Sigma.  Around this time, a friend had cracked a dingo joke and that got me thinking out of the blue.

What was a dingo really? What did it look like? What was with that unsettling penchant for eating babies that the media was constantly going on about? (Yes, it is that easy to distract me and get me on a tangent of discovery…sadly.)

Anyways, Google was around in its infancy then, so that quickly cut down on the mystery.

Handsome lil' fellas aint they?- Photo by Brian Giesen




“Woah, fuzzy orange wolf-things! Sweet!” That, combined with my 16-bit trip down memory lane had me wondering what kind of Maverick I could make by my lonesome.

Now for those of you not in the know, Mavericks are robotic animal dudes who are the primary bosses in Mega Man X. In the original Mega Man series, the baddies would typically be based off a particular element or theme. So you had ElecMan, Woodman, Gutsman, all of that.  In 1994 Capcom fast forwarded the series into the far flung future and to make a long story short, the bad guys were now mainly robotic animals with the various themes. Storm Eagle, Gravity Beetle, and Neon tiger were amongst the newbies.

One such character, Sting Chameleon in beads by ZaneBellamy

One day I decided to sign up on Newgrounds.com. I had frequently visited the site in the past, but upon my 2k4 return, things had gotten a facelift to say the least. There were certain advantages for those with an account, so I got to thinking, it was time to join up.

“Hmm, what should I pick? I need something original, something lacking numbers, X’s and 0’s…hey…I just started Mega Man X3! I can make a Maverick decision!...hah…Maverick.”

So what was my element going to be? I was stumped for a second until something relating to the cycloptic Decepticon, Shockwave blasted through my mind like a Rhino charging at a hunter with a jammed rifle. The idea worked; the name was original (if not a bit ridiculous) and memorable. The name has since stuck.

Wow, that was a rather longwinded origin story….anyways, the second thing that needs explaining is the name of this blog; Electric Voicebox. Well, that’s simple really. I got involved in voice acting about a year after making the screen name. Things were slow, but I finally really started seeing results in around my 2nd or so year of voice acting. Sticking with the electric motif, I thought of the electric voice aids some people use as a result of damage to their larynx.

Well, now that that’s out of the way, I guess I can explain a bit about what I’ll be doing with this blog. I’m a big fan of comic books, video games, 3d renderings (I have no talent for it all, but love the stuff), films and talking at length about random subjects.

Comics and cartoons are two of my oldest loves. I’ve been reading comics since I was around 6 years old. My first comic was bought in a super market, and it was the Avengers: The Terminatrix Objective #2. I had no idea what was going on, but I only recognized Captain America and I thought he looked cool. I also was intrigued by the doppelganger battle that was the focus of the issue. Captain America fought USAgent, Thor fought Thunderstrike, and Iron Man battled War Machine.

Since then, these forms of media have entertained me, inspired me, and even have found ways to challenge me.

Because these subjects have left such an impact on me, I will be writing at length on them and how they’ve shaped my world as well as how they’ve shaped the world around us.

Well then, off to the next post, eh?

See ya then! 

No comments: